Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Saw-Whet owl heard!/¡Mochuelo Cabezón oído!

Aegolius acadicus
                                                   -----------------------
Yesterday, in the middle of the night I heard something coming from outside. It was a series of whistles or cries, I'm not sure how to explain it well, but I certainly knew it had to be an owl of some kind. I kept hearing, and quickly ran to my parents bedroom to tell them. I ran to the kitchen (it  has a big window) and opened it, but for the moment I had it open I the sound had stopped. How foolish of me, to think an owl wouldn't see or hear me! 
I looked it up on my field guide (National Geographic, 5th version) and the only owl that truly fit in was the Saw Whet owl. The habitat and most importantly the sound both fit in. 
Today, after coming from school I looked up the sound on the Cornell Lab's of of Ornithology website. What I heard in the recording was practically identical to the mysterious sound I had heard the night before. You too can here it here
But perhaps the most important thing this "sighting" made me think about was of how many wilderness areas and its wildlife remain ignored by most of the public. This apartment building joint where I live is right next to Paint Branch Stream Valley park. That creek I've been talking about is Paint Branch Stream. I have recorded 33 species of birds in late fall and winter right from my balcony. I have seen white-tailed deer, chipmunks, gray squirrels and a red fox around here, and yet everybody seems to ignore and despise this areas. Why despise? Litter. What (truly forgive me for the words) IDIOT would have the AMAZING idea of throwing trash near a stream and a park?
 All these people are nothing but ignorant SCUMS that are are so LAZY they can't even walk to the garbage container, and decide to throw it away into the woods without a second thought, and then leaving without the slightest regret of doing so. I pity them, for their ignorant ways shall remain silent and forever unimportant until somebody gives them a good lesson on nature education. 
Therefore, I decided to write a letter to the apartment manager, telling him that we shouldn't forget what is surrounding us and that it would be a good idea if he took a walk around the forgotten back area of the neighborhood--the woods--and have a good look at the trash that is there. Perhaps we could organize a clean up or something of the type, and buy or make several signs and put them in the woods. Fines would be great, but who should be managing that is the Parks manager, so I'm contacting him too. 

Lastly, thank you Saw-Whet owl for singing that night and opening my eyes to an even wider perspective.
____________________________________________________________
ES

Traducción vendrá pronto

==============
-Cristina
---------------------

Photo/Imagen: Northern Saw-whet owl from/Mochuelo cabezón de Wiki Commons.



No comments:

Post a Comment