Monday, January 24, 2011

Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl (CR EXP)! / ¡Mochuelo Caburé! (EXP en CR)


Here you can see the shady mango forest, the brushpile and the low area
next to it. Click on the image to enlargen. / Aquí se puede ver el bosque de
mangos sombreado, la gran pila de ramas y a la par de esta el "bajo". Haga click
a la imagen para engrandar.                                                                                              
                                          -------------------------------

Now, I was owing you the story of when I saw a Ferruginous Pygmy Owl (Glaucidium brasilianum)  in my trip back to visit my family in Costa Rica, so here it goes:

I was taking pictures of my cousins and little brother enjoying their time in our pool (one of those that you assemble yourself), at my grandmother's property. I myself was too cold and came out to sunbathe a little, and decided to practice some of my newly learned photography skills. I glanced at the mango tree "forest" that turns out being a nice shady place, filled with warblers and vireos at this time of the year.There is also like this low area next to the mango tree forest, and when it rains it sometimes completely fills up with water.
I was looking down at a brushpile there, where I believe there are a couple of Rufous-Naped wrens nesting, and suddenly something caught my eye. A tiny brown bird had launched on something, spreading its wings over. I first thought it must be some kind of songbird, but changed my mind when it noticed me and quickly flew to a nearby tree branch. There, was an owl of some kind. It was small, could easily fit in an adult's hand. I was incredibly excited, but actually felt more amazed and nervous in a good way. I raised my camera and took a picture of it, but was disappointed at seeing it had ended up very dark, for I had it on MANUAL and it was adjusted for sunny conditions, not a shady place.
I looked closely at it for as much as I could, but when I stepped closer it flew to the mango forest. I tried to go and search for it, but my uncle called out "Cristina! Come back! There are snakes there!" Yes, certainly there are snakes there. They had found a python there once (fortunately instead of killing it they called the firefighters so that they would take it somewhere else). Thus, I found no other option but to obey, and went back to the house, yet still very excited.
I had then been wondering if what I had seen was a Central American Pygmy-Owl (Glaucidium griseiceps) or a Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl. I then searched for photos in the internet, and for a moment thought it was a Central American pygmy-owl. But then I changed my mind, for range and habitat pointed at the Ferruginous.
I couple of days later, while looking and retouching some pictures in Photoshop just for fun, an idea came to me. What if I could lighten up the picture of the owl and see if I can see something in it? I didn't hesitate to do it, and was amazed by the results:

Click for a larger version
(here I lightened up the image, and in the lower right corner there is an outlined version of it in case you have trouble seeing it) This confirmed what I had seen! The FPO's stripes are slenderer than those of the CAPO's stripes, and that was that.
Pygmy-owls are actually diurnal (active at day), although mostly crepuscular. (active at dawn and dusk). The CAPO lives on the Carribbean slope in the tropical rain forests there, while the FPO is a common sight in the Central valley (Costa Rica).
I believe what I saw was a juvenile, because it had a grayish head. Also, I believe I saw it hunting!
This is the first owl I ever see in detail, ever! 

Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl (c) 2010 Dan Lockshaw, Owling.com 
_______________________________________________________________

Les estaba debiendo la historia de cuando ví un Mochuelo Caburé ( también conocido como Mochuelo Común Glaucidium brasilianum) en nuestro viaje devuelta a Costa Rica para visitar a nuestra familia y amigos, asi que aquí va:

Estaba tomándole fotografías a mis primos (as) disfrutando la piscina de ensamblar que tenemos en la finca de mi abuela. A mí ya me había dado frío y salí para asolearme un rato, así que decidí practicar mis recién aprendidas habilidades para fotografiar un poco.
Le dí un vistazo al "bosque" de árboles de mango, que es después de todo un buen lugar sombreado, que en esta época del año se llena con reinitas y vireos por doquier. Hay un "bajo" (como nosotros lo llamamos) a la par del bosque, y a la par de este una gran pila de ramas y palos, en la cual creo deben de haber soterreyes nuquirrufos anidando, y de repente algo me  llamó la atención. Un pequeño pájaro café se abalanzó en algo, y desplegó sus insignificantes alas en el. Primero pensé que era algún tipo de ave canora pequeña, pero cambié de opinión cuando este me notó y voló hacia la rama de un árbol cercano. Ahí, había un búho de algún tipo. Era diminuto, podía fácilmente caber en la mano de una persona adulta. Estaba muy emocionada, pero al mismo tiempo algo nerviosa en una buena manera. Le tomé una fotografía con mi cámara, pero me sentí desilusionada al notar que la tenía en MANUAL y estaba ajustada para condiciones soleadas, no una rama cerca de un bosque muy sombreado.
Lo observé lo mas que pude, pero cuando tomé un paso para adelante el búho voló rápidamente al bosque de mangos. Estaba determinada a ir y encontrarlo, pero mi tío me llamó "¡Cristina! ¡Venga para acá qué ahí hay culebras!" Ciertamente hay serpientes ahí. Hace un tiempo encontraron una pitón cerca de ese lugar (afortunadamente en vez de matarla llamaron a los bomberos, quienes se la llevaron a un lugar lejos de ahí). No tuve opción excepto obedecer, y me devolví a la casa, muy emocionada de todos modos.
Después estuve preguntándome si lo que vi fue o un Mochuelo Centroamericano (Glaucidium griseiceps) o un Mochuelo Caburé. Por un momento pensé que era un MCA (mochuelo centroamericano), pero después de revisar el hábitat y rango de distribución me incliné al Caburé.
Un par de días después, mientras revisaba y retocaba algunas fotos en Photoshop, me llegó ls idea de que tal vez si aclaraba la imagen quizá podría alcanzar a ver algo, y así fue:

Click para engrandar
(aquí aclaré la imagen, y en la esquina inferior derecha delineé el contorno del búho por si tienen problemas viéndolo) ¡Esto confirmó lo que había visto! ¿Ven las rayitas en el vientre del búho? Las del MCA son más gruesas, entonces este sí es un Caburé, y así fue.

El mochuelo caburé, o realmente este tipo de búhos pequeños en general son típicamente diurnos (activos de día), pero son más crepusculares (activos al amanecer y al atardecer). El MCA habita los bosque húmedos de la vertiente del Caribe, mientras que el Caburé se es común en el Valle Central (Costa Rica).

Creo que ví uno joven, ya que su cabeza era algo grisácea ¡Es más, creo qué lo ví cazando!

Mochuelo Caburé (c) 2010 Dan Lockshaw, Owling.com.
============
-Cristina
------------------

Imágenes/ Photos:  First and second image are taken by me, source specified in third one/ Primera y segunda imagen son tomadas por mí, la fuente de la tercera ya es especificada.

No comments:

Post a Comment