Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ridiculous Thirst For Bird Art

These past couple of days I have been having a terrible urge to paint birds.

 I enjoy sketching them, that's for sure, but I want to bring those gray drawings to life. I think my mom has had a part in this not-so-strange art instinct. 

"Kity?" (she affectionately calls me that)
"Yep?"
"I really need you to do me a big favor"
"Um, what is it?"
"I need you to draw me something, and then paint it. I want to fill our home with them, Kity. I love them."
"Well, um, sure why not!  But I need, you know, tools to do so."

I do have some artist tools, but they are school temperas and oils. The temperas, I don't think I have to talk much about them. They are very basic, that's why you use them in school. My wonderful oils--I don't have many of them. I'm out of zinc white and other important colors,  many of the caps won't come off, and oils don't fit that much with what I really want to do. 

So I went about searching on the Net for some medium I would find good. Now, I'm battling between two choices--acrylics and watercolors.

Acrylics are very versatile and dry quickly. You can paint really smooth-looking and detailed art, such as this:

Aquatic Warbler (C) Lukasz Bednarz, BirdingArt.com
I am completely in love with this picture, but of course don't expect to paint like that without some truly formal-formal art education, but a girl can dream can she?
 
Plus, you can use acrylics as watercolors or as oils. Told you how versatile they are!

Now with Watercolors. Watercolors are not very expensive and are fairly easy to use, but you need Practice. 
My objective would be to get to this amount of detail: 

Lark In The Morning-Eastern Meadowlark by Julie Zickefoose
But that needs a lot of practice, yet I won't give up. When it comes to art, I can't stop until I have what I wanted to have. I need to be a perfectionist in order to accomplish my goal, which will then lead to extreme satisfaction and peace of mind. Ahhh.

Maybe I'll see if I can get my parents to buy me some art supplies. 

PS: Sketches of mine coming soon!






1 comment:

  1. i think the Aquatic Warbler by Lukasz Bednarz is amazing!!!! if you can do THAT with acrylics then i would't think about going for watercolour or acrylics... USE ACRYLICS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete