Saturday, March 12, 2011

HOUSE FINCH!!! And FIRST BWD ISSUE


Male, female at far bottom left
Just a few minutes ago, I was finishing dressing myself when suddenly a whispered cry blurted from my mom,

"CRISTINAAA! THERE'S A NEW BIRD AT THE FEEDER!"

I ran to the kitchen with the window that had a view to the feeder, snatched my camera and very carefully peeked out. There, on the thistle sock feeder a strange brownish bird with a red cap clung, competing with the greedy House Sparrows for a place where to feed. For some reason the first name that popped into my mind was "bushtit", even though they don't look AT ALL like the bird that I had in front of my eyes.

I crept in closer, hiding behind the wall. Then I was able to see what it was. A male House Finch, with a female (perhaps his mate, I'll never know). It was the second time I saw this bird. Ever. Ironically some people have HOARDS of house finches at their feeders, gobbling up the entire content of a birdfeeder in just a few hours. And here I have this lonely pair, whom I am wishing will come every day from now on.

Female
I took as many pictures as I could before they went away, annoyed by the greedy sparrows that just won't give them some space where they can eat in peace. Sigh...

Yet still I was terribly happy to have new customers at the birdfeeders. I hope they come back tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day...

Male
Second news is that, after a week without checking the mail (caused by mysteriously disappearing mail keys), my mother found between the mail nothing but my FIRST BIRDWATCHER'S DIGEST MAGAZINE ISSUE! I had asked for it for christmas, and here it is! WOOHOO!



1 comment:

  1. Cristi, me encantan las fotos, y el texto, por supuesto, pero las fotos están buenísimas.

    ReplyDelete