Saturday, December 18, 2010

My Blog's First Flight

First Post, people!

Today, I officially decided to make a blog. Why? Well, every time I look out the window to my bird-feeders, or pretty much every time I see something interesting, I begin writing in my mind, such as the time when I saw a red-tailed hawk flying near the not-so-dense woods around my apartment a few weeks ago: "I quickly flung my binoculars and adjusted them on the hawk . The sun shone for a split second on the hawks tail, revealing a bright orange color, thus confirming its identification. The red-tailed hawk swooped down and let out a harsh keee-yeeeeer!, while heading directly towards the nearby woods. This was an amazing experience I will certainly never forget..." But I had nowhere where to write it down and show it to everyone. I didn't want a diary, because what I wrote was not "private", nor did I want a writer's notebook. After looking through Julie Zickefoose's blog I thought 'well, why not a blog?' and here it is.

Now I'll talk a little bit about myself. I am young, actually very young for the usual age someone would begin a blog.  I am a self-taught birder and artist. I am a native Costa Rican temporarily living in the U.S. I live in an apartment building with a balcony that has a beautiful view to a nearby patch of woods, and I live alongside a young brother and an older sister (both of them sometimes nice, but usually annoying :D) plus my mother and father. Back in Costa Rica I had my beloved dog, an adopted mutt named Meneco, and my little singing canary, Miss. Canary. 
Here in this blog I'll talk about several things, not only about my own life and wildlife observations, but also about conservation issues and maybe even a little bit of politics. Therefore, expect quite a lot of interesting posts over here. I may post new entries every day, maybe even more than once a day, but if I don't post anything for a long time without telling anything, it's perhaps because of this Internet of ours, that sometimes isn't very cooperative.
I'll finish this post with a gorgeous black-and-white picture I took of my good old mutt, Meneco:
Doesn't he look angelical in that picture? Doesn't he?

-Cristina

Top Photo: Juvenile Red-tailed hawk, from Wiki Commons





No comments:

Post a Comment