Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hairy Woodpecker!

Last week I was able to catch sight of my first Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides Villosus), pecking at our suet feeder. I get Downy woodpeckers (Picoides Pubescens) at the feeders all the time, but I had never seen a Hairy in my feeders, nor in my life.
I had practiced before how to separate Hairies from Downies, so I immediately recognized it. The great hairy dangled in the feeder, keeping balance by wrapping her (it was a female) stiff tail against the side of the feeder. She pecked at the little bit of suet that was left, then flew away. 
I believe the female that came today was the same as the last time I just mentioned. This time the feeder was filled with pure, raw suet, and heck she stayed for there for quite a time, pecking at the suet, then grabbing a piece and eating it right there. I must point out that woodpeckers love suet. They devour it with such a pleasure! They look like kids in a candy bar, only a bit less energetic. 
Downy and Hairy WP can be a challenge to identify apart, especially for beginner birders. Here's a piece of artwork from amazing artist Julie Zickefoose (by the way wife of Birdwatcher's Digest magazine editor, Bill Thompson, III. She also contributes to that magazine):
Downy left, Hairy right
Downies are sparrow-sized, with a tiny bill and striped outer-tail coverts. On the other hand, Hairies are quite large, about the size of a robin. The have long, pointy beaks and white outer-tail coverts.
I hope that helped in case you have trouble telling them apart :) .

- Cristina

Photos: Top image from Wiki Commons, bottom image by Julie Zickefoose



No comments:

Post a Comment